Sunday, February 7, 2010

Caya and Leo

   This has been such a hectic week!  I did start a new painting loosely based on my daughter. She asked for a painting of a mermaid- we will see how it goes   I posted my first pass at her face above.  The painting will be 10" x 20".  I just love that size canvas.  It is small enough that I can complete a painting quickly- and such a lovely proportion.  I love to begin my paintings with a black canvas. There is something about the metaphor of bringing something out of darkness that appeals to me.   I feel like it adds a level of drama that I can't always get when I start with a white canvas.  Does anyone else feel that way?
   On an interesting note, this week I found out quite by chance on the internet, that my grandfather's name was Olegario and his nickname was "Lio".  I never knew my grandfather- to be quite honest,  I didn't even know his name.  He died before I was born.    What is so interesting about this is that my son's name is Leo.  What is even more interesting is that my daughter's name is Caya (named after my grandmother, Cayetana).  So my children are named Caya and Leo.. and my mother's parents were named Cayetana and Lio.  Weird.  What is also odd, is that my mother had completely forgotten that her father's nickname was Lio.  Anyway, it made me feel very connected to my ancestry on some psychic cosmic kind of level.  Okay... I better get to bed.  My 4:00 am feeding is just around the corner!

4 comments:

Priti Lisa said...

She's a beauty!
Reading your posts brought back for me the time I had (and didn't)with my babies. Being a working mom is hard and heartbreaking, for sure. But, every moment leads you to the next. My Leo is 20 now. And Mia is 15.
Seems like yesterday when I was working at night and trying to sleep while they were in school.
Loves of my life, they are.
xox, Lisa

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Beautiful face! Can't wait to see the finished piece. I never tried a black canvas. It actually scares me more then the white one. :) I'll have to give it a go sometimes.

lulu moonwood murakami said...

Wow, I'm so glad I found your blog - too bad I'm too late for your beautiful OWOH giveaway, but isn't the real prize finding other bloggers whose blogging resonates with you? I was reading your post about the work you do and I can't imagine how difficult that would be. What a salve your children and your art must be.

xoxo lulu

A Miraculous Meliss said...

I'm captured by what you said about starting a painting with black and then coming out of the dark. btw, she's stunning! I love the way you paint eyes.

How neat about the names. Sounds magickal to me!

~magick~
Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails